Friday, February 20, 2015

PICTURE PROMPTS: Cassandra Federman


 
Welcome to PICTURE PROMPTS! This is my way of 'paying it forward' for all the beautiful illustrations found in picture books all around the world. For the next year you will see me visit with guest illustrators, spotlighting their beautiful artwork and sharing their answers to a few questions I thought my readers might want to know about these illustrators. On the Friday when an illustrator hasn't stopped by for a visit and a hot cup of green tea, I will put up a random PICTURE PROMPT that has inspired me to write a little flash fiction to share with you!


If you are an illustrator, established or just starting out, and would like to participate in my PICTURE PROMPT series, just shoot me an email over to donasdays (at) gmail (dot) com and I will send you the information on how to join the fun!


Please welcome talented illustrator, Cassandra Federman and check out her answers to my interview questions...




1. Why did you decide to become an illustrator?



I was obsessed with Disney fairy tales and with any and all gruesome artwork as a child.  As I got older I discovered comic books, which contained artwork that was both beautiful and gruesome! It was perfect! So I wanted to be a comic book artist for a long time. I gave up that idea around age 13, thinking it was a pipe dream. I decided to become an actor instead. Hey, I didn’t say I was logical!




2.  Where do you get your inspiration?



I’m constantly analyzing my artwork for areas that are weakest. Then I try to draw something that will force me to strengthen that area. And I try to be creative about it.







3. Do you have a favorite illustration of yours? Why is it your favorite?



I seem to fall in love with whichever one I’ve just finished. This can be dangerous because I get so excited that I show it off to the world through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Then a few months later, (hopefully) I’ve gotten better as an artist and I look back and think, “Ugh, why did I show anyone that terrible picture!” And I show off some new one that I’ll come to hate 6 months later. It’s a vicious cycle.







4. If you could invite five other illustrators (alive or deceased) to dinner, who would you invite and why?



Michael Turner (deceased) and J. Scott Campbell. Their comic book styles are stunning to me. Also Brian Froud, because he’s a man who marries the beautiful, the creepy, and the fantasy world together like no one else. I’ll leave the other couple seats open for a Disney/Pixar animator and an impressionist painter. First come first serve.



 5. What are you currently working on?



I’m working on writing and illustrating my own children’s books right now. I finished my first book called Creatures of Habit and I’ve just started looking for a Literary Agent.  I’ve also got several manuscripts I’ve been revising with the goal of drawing up a dummy for one of them soon. The problem is, I always like whichever manuscript I’ve revised last... I’m very much looking forward to getting an agent so they can help me with my decision-making issues.







6. Do you work in different mediums? If so, which style is the most challenging?



I usually sketch something out the old fashioned way and then paint it in Photoshop. Reproducing different styles is challenging and is always a learning process. Watercolor style in Photoshop is new to me and most difficult right now. 







7. What advice would you give to someone thinking about trying to become an illustrator?



Be critical enough that you know where you need to improve, but not so critical you depress yourself. Also, don’t be afraid to pursue other creative endeavors. It all feeds you. Lastly, follow other artists on Instagram. It’s inspiring!





8. Do you have another job in addition to being an illustrator?



Yes, I write and act. I’m also a Hand Model.








Author Bio:



Cassandra grew up on the East Coast. She spent her childhood daydreaming, reading comic books, and playing with action figures until—well, she still does all of those things, but she lives on the West Coast now.





Social Media Links:



Personal Website: www.cassandrafederman.com

Twitter: @CassFederman

Instagram: cassfederman

2 comments:

  1. I really like her style! This is a great interview! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erik! I'm really enjoying the PICTURE PROMPT series...love all this illustrating I don't possess...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete