Wednesday, January 22, 2014

BOOK NOOK REVIEWS: Lori Degman







**This week's BOOK NOOK REVIEWS shines a spotlight on great books provided by some of the authors participating in my annual FREE AUTHOR PROMOTION event held each May in my city. Help support these new and established authors by checking out their books!***


Title: 1 Zany Zoo
Author: Lori Degman
Illustrator: Colin Jack
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Ages 4-8


"While YOU stood here waiting, with nothing to do
I snuck through the gate and into the zoo.
You'll never believe what I saw--what I heard.
I swear it's the truth--every last word."

Synopsis: One small boy sneaks into what he thinks is a quiet little zoo...only to discover the animals inside are anything but ordinary! All it takes is one fearless fox with a key to unlock all the cages and soon it's one wild menagerie of rollicking, frollicking animals partying all day long! How will the zoo keeper maintain order in the one zany zoo?

Why you should read it: I will be the first to admit I LOVE rhyming books. It may be that it calls out to the child in me but give me a story with a lyrical, rhythmic tone to it and I just melt. Ms Degman manages to do just that as she takes her readers on a fantastical journey through a zoo as one clever fox not only stays one step ahead of the zoo keeper, but also manages to show us what it's REALLY like when humans aren't around! Children, young and old, will love the whimsical illustrations by the talented Colin Jack and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those children start asking to visit the zoo soon!

Like-O-Meter Rating: 5 out of 5...Grab it!

8 comments:

  1. I always wondered what went on at the zoo when no people were around..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve! Lol, now the secret is out...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Cute cover! Sounds like a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne! It's a wonderfully cute book! Lori entered this story into a Cheerios "new writer" contest and won first place which included having this book sent out with thousands of boxed of cereal along with a book deal with Simon & Schuster...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. Love this book! It's so cut and Lori is super talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny! I couldn't agree more! My TKD kids LOVED it when I read it to them over the Christmas holidays...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Susanna! I think it's adorable too! ;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete